There is a drive in humans to be autonomous. This drive is being poorly met by today ever more connected world. Some people retreat from the high technology world into a simpler more autonomous life.
We believe that through technology we can achieve more autonomy for each of us. This increased autonomy would lead to a more robust and stable humanity.
You might want to improve your autonomy compared to the larger society you find yourself in for many reasons. These reasons are not limited to:
- The larger society is fragile and you want insulate parts of it from catastrophic failure in other parts of the system (reducing existential risk, by making the system more resilient to losses of parts of it).
- The larger society has no need for you. For example if you are slowly becoming less economically valuable as more jobs are heavily automated. If something like universal basic income is not implemented, then becoming more autonomous might be the only way to survive.
- You disagree with the larger society for moral reasons, for example if it is using slavery or polluting the seas. You may wish to opt out of the larger system in whole or in part so you are not contributing to the activity you disagree with.
- The larger society is hostile to you. It is an authoritarian or racist government. There are plenty examples of this happening in history, so it will probably happen again.
- You wish to go somewhere outside the dominant society where it does not provide for you, for example living in space.
- You just want to be master of your own destiny.
To be more autonomous we need to understand autonomy and why it is important to us. We need to discuss it and make sure we are doing what is best for humanity.
The first hypothesis to explore is:
To be able to do more for ourselves we need to be able to manage and understand more.
That is we could own lots of machinery, but we couldn’t be knowledgeable in its use and able to maintain all of it. So we need more intelligence.
We sit on the edge of understanding intelligence. We can either chose to create new intelligence with their own goals and purpose. Or we can chose to augment our own intelligence to improve our autonomy.
If we augment our own intelligence then we can expand the range of tools and manufacturing facilities we can operate and maintain, we can know more about farming and biology. We can become less reliant on other people to know things and produce things for us. Augmenting our intelligence will be the first step in improving the economics of autonomy.
Artificial Intelligence vs Intelligence Augmentation is a very important decision to make for the future of humanity. This community will explore the question of intelligence augmentation and try and make a case that a more autonomous world is desirable.
If our society chooses intelligence augmentation we will need to create computer systems that can manage themselves with our guidance and training, without not adding to our burden of things to manage too much. Computers that will be aligned with our interests without the need of external programmers. This community will explore how to do this by investigating novel architectures of resource allocation in computers. One prototype is agorint.
If you have any questions or thoughts they are welcome on the reddit
Say hi on reddit or feel free to give us a private message.